Thursday, November 1, 2007

Day 1 - Wednesday 10/31/07

Day 1

I am writing this from the lanai of our hotel room at the Fairmont Kea Lani. My body says it is 8:42 a.m., but the local time is 5:42 a.m., so I’m typing in the dark. It is quiet except for the sound of rolling surf and tropical birds in the distance. It is calm and the air temperature is very comfortable. Renea is still sleeping. Probably a little residual from her pink pills she has to take before flying.

Our trip to the airport was uneventful. We boarded the shuttle from the economy parking lot with another couple. The man had shorts on so we asked if they were going to Maui as well. Yes, they were going to visit his daughter. I wanted to know how long their trip was because their luggage was half the size (and weight!) as ours. This is an ongoing topic between Renea and I. She brings everything in her closet on trips (i.e. 25 tank-tops, 10 pairs of shoes, etc.), whereas I pack the perfect amount. (grin) Her bag was just under the airline limit because she put a bunch of her clothes in my bag.

Our flight was delayed about 30 minutes. While we were waiting, Renea almost had a “life’s most embarrassing moment.” She had gone to the restroom. Mind you, she is preoccupied with worry about flying. As she exited the restroom, she reached back to adjust her shirt and noticed her toilet seat cover was sticking out from her pants! She quickly pulled it out and disposed of it before anyone noticed. Even though no one noticed, we are still able to enjoy the story.

Our flight was uneventful. I visited a little with a young girl who was returning home to Honolulu. She grew up in Oahu and loves living there. She had a video iPod and an Apple laptop, so I considered her both lucky and intelligent. I would have preferred to visit with my lovely bride, but she looked like this…



I watched most of Knute Rockne All-American (1940) staring a young Ronald Reagan on my laptop and then the in-flight movie, Gracie (2007) about a girl who tries-out for the boys soccer team after her older brother (who was on the team) dies. It was pretty good.

We landed in Maui about 12:40 p.m. local time and proceed to the car rental shuttle. As I was getting into the rental car, the strap of my backpack (which holds my precious Apple laptop) came undone and my laptop plunged to the asphalt. Oh, the horror! Fortunately, it only suffered a slight dent on the corner and a loose wireless card. The dent on the top of my laptop is from our last trip to Hawaii. The price of computing in paradise.



After leaving the airport, we went to Costco to pick up a few things. We saw at least two other couples from our flight at Costco, including the couple from the parking shuttle in Sacramento. Why are they following us? I promise, Renea does have a prescription from those drugs she carries around with her.

Around 3:00 p.m., we arrived at the Fairmont. It feels like we were just here. Our room is 206. Last year we were in room 210, so we are two rooms closer to the ocean. After checking in, we went to dinner at Tommy Bahamas with Renea’s parents and the Leonard’s (Sherry Leonard is Barbara’s co-partner for Pacific Events which arranges this conference).





We returned to the hotel around 7:30 p.m. (10:30 p.m. at home), so unfortunately it was too late to iChat with the kids like we wanted to do. We unpacked, took a quick swim in one of the three pools (with Alby’s and Lenorad’s) and went to bed.

Well, the sun has risen now. Many more birds have awoken to greet another beautiful day in paradise. Renea on the other hand…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Daddy, I love u both and miss u guys and can't wait till you come home. I enjoyed reading your comments about your first day and I can't wait till the next one! To bad the laptop has another dent. He he he he bye, love you.